The above article is a heavily edited version of an essay written by Michael Hviid Jacobsen and published in The Essayist. For access to the full article please go here: http://www.the-essayist.org/2015/07/4898/
Assignment: Review the background information provided in the presentation to the right. After reading the article on the left, entitled "Kill The Classics," answer the following questions:
1. Describe the academic disciplines: natural sciences, social sciences and humanities?
2. How does sociology hold a unique place in the world of academics?
3. How do the different disciplines view their founding fathers and classic literature?
4. According to the article, why does sociology continue to place an emphasis on the classic theories of scholars?
5. How do we determine that a work is a classic?
6. According to the author, what is the problem with focusing on these old works?
7. What do you think should be done with the classic works of our founding fathers? Do you agree with the article or do you have a different opinion?
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.